Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Home Again Home Again Jiggedy Jig

After some much needed R and R, the Allison family is home again.  We never want to leave the beach when it is time to go.  This was a vacation we thought would never happen.  There were problems with school conflicts, Gerrad's work, and of course a hurricane.  We didn't know if we would ever make it to Carolina Beach.  But, as always, the Lord knew what was best.  It was the perfect weather week with no storms and not even a cloud in the sky.  We got to see a beautiful fireworks display.  And, we were even able to have family come for a day and take us out on their boat - lots of fun!  Yes, I missed my bed and writing, but I still did not really want to have to get back in the swing of things here at home.

But alas, we are here and it feels good to be typing.  We had no internet or computers!  Culture shock at its finest.  One thing I did miss even more than typing was spending time reading my Bible.  I am not saying I did not spend time reading everyday and I definitely prayed, but in all honesty I did not read like I should have.  When I sat down today in the peace and quiet with my little ones sleeping (which didn't happen as much on vacation with the nap policy so lenient), I felt such a peace as I opened God's Word.  And as I have trudged through a study of the first five books of the Bible, I feel I have learned so much (even though it has sometimes made me yawn with all the laws- just being honest).  Learning more leads to wanting to learn even more.  Every verse can hold a new meaning and can be applied to our lives.  We must thirst for that knowledge.

I wrote down many topics to write on throughout the week and a half we were away.  Things that the Lord laid upon my heart, things the girls did and said, and the sheer beauty of the ocean in all its grand splendor, but it is just the peace of being home that I am happy to think about today.  The peace of spending much needed time with my Bible in hand.

As I think about what reading the Bible does for my life and my joy level, I also think about the guidance that comes with it.  I let the girls watch a Hermie movie on the way to preschool this morning.  Hermie is Max Lucado's caterpillar cartoon character that my girls love!!!!  In the movies, Hermie and his bug friends are able to talk with God audibly.  There are times when I listen to what is going on and think, "Lord, why can't you just shout down at me what to do or a comforting word to get me through this trial."  But, I immediately know the answer to my own thought.  I do have those things, and it's found in my Bible.  I just have to be willing to pick it up and listen!

Today's Verse
Isaiah 30:21 "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying , This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left."

God speaks to us through His word.  We must find that quiet time to seek His guidance and strength.  He will reveal His will to us, we just must seek the way.  Isaiah is full of promises for those seeking strength, answers, and guidance.  Take some time today to seek God's guidance.  It will give you the warm fuzzy feeling like being home again!

Isaiah Promises
Is 41:13 "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not: I will help thee."

Is 42:16 "And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known:  I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight.  These things will I do unto them,
and not forsake them."

Is 43:2  "When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not   overflow thee:  when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment