Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This game called life!

I loved games as a child.  I even had the game called "LIFE".  My dad worked the late shift, so it was just my mom and me during the evenings.  I can remember pulling out those board games and playing until bedtime.  I also remember packing up those same games and heading to my Grandmother's house every other Saturday.  My father would do her yard work, and we would camp out at the kitchen table to play.  I already see the love of games in my daughters.  If we can just get them to turn off the technology and play a good old fashioned game, we always have a blast.  Our kids at church love them too.  I love making up scavenger hunts for them to complete or just a great game of Pictionary.  We even had a game recently where they had to hunt for coins in a bucket of ice.  I was scared some of them were going to lose their arms to frost bite.

Everyone loves a game, but when you do look at life as a game, do we know how to play?  I made a comment to my husband this weekend that I didn't know how to play this game anymore.  With our life in such limbo (another great game) right now, I can't seem to figure out which way God has us going.  We lean on Him for guidance, but right now I feel like the Israelites in the dessert wondering for 40 years.  We are waiting and longing for a green light to move or draw a card that doesn't say "lose your turn".  We are waiting...and unfortunately I am definitely not good at the waiting game.

I've begged God for wisdom today.  I have looked for verses for wisdom today.  The book of Proverbs is full of wisdom verses, including 8:11 "For wisdom is better than rubies..."  Oh how much that is true.  I need His wisdom to guide us through this life.

 I am searching even harder than usual for wisdom, direction and guidance.  One reason is because I was asked a dreaded question for a second time within a week.  "Where is your daughter going to school next year?"  Where, oh where will she go?  If anyone has a clue, please let me know!  We have no idea!  When that is our answer, the looks we usually get are not pleasant.  Do we go public, private or home-school?  What about if our house sells?  That really changes things up as the school districts would change.  All the possibilities, and what if we make the wrong move?

Wisdom verses for today
"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
Jer 33:3
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God." James 1:5a
"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Cor 2:5

If we rely on His Word, which we must do, we are certain to not make a wrong move.  He might wait until the very last minute, the last grain of sand may be draining from the hour glass, but His guidance will come.

In Deuteronomy 30 we read some of the final words of Moses.  He is asking the God's people to choose a life for God.  They will receive blessings if they focus on Him and not turn away from Him.  He actually says in verse 19 to "therefore choose life."  I want to choose life and live it abundantly.  I know He is the driving force making my moves for my family in this game.  I want to stay in His will as we face the twists and turns.  As Moses says in verse 20 "That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life..." 

Is He your life?  I want Him to be my life.  I want to put that everywhere I can see "for he is thy life". I want my life to reflect 1 Cor 2:5 more that anything today.  I want the power of God to be my moving force behind my life.  I want to choose life for Him, and with Him we will always be a winner in this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment